We take the safety of every child very seriously and endeavour to exceed any regulatory requirements where ever possible. Find out what we require from our host families.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- when you first apply to host.
- if your DBS needs updating (every 3 years)
- if a child is turning 16 years of age.
On receipt of the form, please:
- Complete page 2 and three of the paper application form in BLACK INK.
- Contact your local guardian to verify your identification and complete the back page.
- Send the application to WHG Head Office in the SAE provided
- The host family department will complete the form and send it be processed. The DBS certificate will be posted back to the applicant by the DBS Service.
- Please post the certificate to WHG Head Office and obtain proof of postage. Royal Mail 2nd class signed for service is adequate. (We do not supply an SAE for this or refund postage)
The host family department will scan the certificate and update your host family profile.
The certificate will be returned to you by Royal Mail 2nd class signed for service and will be valid for three years
You can find a GasSafe engineer in your area by visiting:
Social Services (for families hosting students under 16 only)
Host families that accommodate a student under 16 years of age for more than 27 consecutive nights, will need to be registered with Social Services private fostering. The student will be visited by a social worker at the host family home every 6 weeks, this visit may take up to one hour.
Social services require all host families to provide a full medical history record for all members of the household over the age of 16. This can be obtained from your family doctor, please ask your LC for more details.
To comply with the Children Act 1989, you must be able to confirm that no person in your household has ever:
- Been convicted of any offence against a child
- Had a child removed from their care by order of a court
- Had their parental rights removed
- Had an order made against them refusing or cancelling Registration under the Nurseries and Child Minders Registration Act 1948